I Knit London Tweets

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

are you a tree hugger?

About one million years ago I did a 5k run in Battersea Park (in fact I think I did it two years in a row) to raise money for Trees For Cities. It was a terribly stupid thing to do as I don't spend a great deal of time running or anything remotely similar. I did it though and I raises a couple of hundred pounds.

With that in mind I had to post about The Woodland trust and their new new project, The Ancient Tree Hunt. It sounds a bit like an oxymoron but apparently they are just a bunch of tree huggers and I think I love them.

They want people to help the record and map ancient trees across the UK. The map will be on their website. How can knitters help? Well, I think knitters will inherit the earth, or something, as we can do anything! They have suggested by knitting scarves, patterns here, we can use them to measure the span of the trees! Marvelous! The scarves are 1.5m long, the official length of a tree hug!

I think this is brilliant. I love trees, for the very obvious reason that they give us life! Most of them are beautiful, too.

I think I might start by measuring the trees on Whitehall, see if I can get into trouble! 

Gxx

No comments: