I Knit London Tweets

Monday, March 19, 2007

Euroshame...but, hey, it's my birthday!

It started snowing tonight, so I guess that we'll all be unable to get to work in the morning! It was a disappointing weekend for a number of reasons, but I'm looking forward to this week's knitting meeting - it's my birthday on Wednesday, the same day that I Knit London meet up so I got to choose the bar. OK, so it's a big, brash place near the city, but it's got a happy hour and it does karaoke. I hope loads of knitters join us and get up for a song or two. Anyone who gets up and finds a knitting themed song ("Sewn" by The Feeling?..."Needles & Pins" by The Searchers?..."Sheep" by The Housemartins?!) might get a huge round of applause from us.
I've already had a few pressies, including Bonnie Tyler's Greatest hits CD - my friends obviously have a sense of humour ;), and I know I'm getting some lovingly hand-dyed sock yarn later this week from Jon. If anyone reading is planning on coming along to Wednesday's knitting night at Alibi, then, of course, feel free to drop in any pressies! We had another of our knitting club nights last night (Sunday) at The Phoenix in the centre of town:


We had knitting gingerbread bread courtesy of the lovely Roy, and pearly cupcakes lovingly prepared by Gerard:

Some of us made pom-poms:



...and there was even a semi-naked hula-hooper!



We all had a good night, but it would seem everyone else loves their mum too much! So, it was a little disappointing not to see so many of our knitters along there, and even more so with some unforseen technical problems. But nothing this weekend (or maybe ever) could be as disappointing as this sorry bunch of ?&*!$:

Oh, the shame. I know it's slightly ridiculous to be getting this worked up over the Eurovision Song Contest, I know there are bigger things in the world to be concerned about, but when it gets to the stage that the "Great British Public" vote for these goons to represent the country then I just despair! It's about 10 years out-of-date, embarassingly kitsch in a not-even-so-bad-it's-good-just-really-bad kind of way, with some 'tongue in cheek' innuendo for the mums and dads, a terrible dance routine, and four people who really are old enough to know better, especially the fat one who can't dance anymore. And that one second from the left, don't you just want to punch his lights out? Don't you?? As you can probably tell, this has touched a nerve somewhat. Come back Cliff, we forgive you.

No comments: