I Knit London Tweets

Friday, March 23, 2007

World Water Day

Yesterday (see below) I was at the House of Lords for a World Water Day event. The event was great as it celebrated and promoted World Water Day in an international development context. Cherie Blair spoke as did Barbara Frost, WaterAid's Cheif Executive.

The House of Lords was a terrifying concept to me. All I had to do waas take enough WaterAid and End Water Poverty literature with me and and take to people about the campaign. Sounds easy. The first half, yes! I talked to MPs, Lords and Ladies, not Cherie, actors - Timothy Spall was there but I left him to our cheif exec. I spoke with other people from civil society organisations and even people from the Department for International Development.

I've been into the House of Parliament before and the imposing building, architecture and furnishings really bring home how improtant and powerful the decisions that are made there really are. That and the fact that everyone is in smart dress. I was wearing a shirt but needless to say I was tieless. So was Timothy Spall so I forgave myself but made a mental note for the next event!I was looking out of this window and although the view is quite unspectacular it struck that very few people get to ponder of it so I thought it my duty to share it with you.
And another. There is a bull in Black Rod Gardens dressed in a peers robes. The event was great for WaterAid and End Water Poverty. I even got a picture of Cherie Blair and her signature on some campaign materials - I wont share that with you, though.

Back to knitting - this morning we received hundreds more blue squares as per usual but I had to show you this picture of almost 1500 squares.
They are sewn into a blacket and arrived in a huge box. They are from the Environment Agency Anglian Region. We were astounded at such a great contribution. Thank you to all those involved and special thanks to Pauline for organising it.
Now that World Water Day is behind us we are getting to work on arranging the major outing for the river. We hope to take it to Downing Street mid April.
Can you help carry it up Whitehall on the day?
I finished a pair of socks yesterday! They are gorgeous, I will post a picture later!


No comments: